Friday, January 15, 2016

Jacob is doing a Four Week rotation in OB/GYN

Jacob's first 2016 rotation is in what Utah would call labor and delivery.

Jacob and I have discussed the huge difference in the number
of pregnant women in Utah County than in Arizona.

In 2011:  Three metropolitan areas in Utah, as well as three in California and one in Nevada, are among those with the highest rates in the country, according to census estimates.
US News Oct 21, 2011

I am guessing that Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo represents at least
ONE metropolitan area in Utah.

The advantages of not doing labor and delivery in Provo are learning and
observing better quality care of women.

In Arizona the office where Jacob is rotating has the doctors do 24 hours
on-call and have one doctor deliver all the babies for the 24 hour period.

At Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo, they have several
delivery rooms and additional rooms to do C-sections.  Most of the
hours of the day ALL of the rooms are full, meaning there is no
way ONE doctor could deliver all the babies in a 24 hour period.

There are even rumors here of anesthesiologists supervising MORE
than one C-section at a time, in two different operating rooms.

I am definitely glad Jacob gets to rotate in a better situation than
Provo, Utah.

I think right now the emergency room looks more appealing and
less stressful to Jacob than OB/GYN.

Stay Tuned. . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment