Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Deseret News published my recipe

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700067365/Backyard-bounty-Here-are-some-ideas-on-how-to-use-your-bumper-crops-of-the-season.html

This is a recipe from my 4-H Recipe Book and it has been years since I made Applesauce Cookies as all of you know.  I was looking through the book looking for a recipe that wasn't Zucchinni so it would be different from everyone else.


Applesauce Cookies
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup butter or shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup warm applesauce
1 cup broken nuts
3/4 cup raisins (Can substitute chocolate chips for raisins)
Sift together flour, soda, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cream butter or shortening with sugar. Add applesauce and mix well. Add flour mixture, nuts and raisins. Blend well. Drop onto baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Makes 3 dozen. — Peggy Burdett, Orem

I have included this recipe from the same article because it is different than anything I have ever seen.  I have recently craved lemon and I have never seen a lemon Zucchini recipe before.

Lemon Zucchini Cookies
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup unpeeled, shredded zucchini
1 cup craisins or raisins (optional)
Frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and lemon peel till fluffy. Add flour, stir until smooth. Stir in zucchini, nuts and raisins or craisins if desired. Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.
Cool slightly. Mix powdered sugar with 11/2 tablespoons lemon juice (you can also add a little lemon zest if desired). Makes 2 dozen delicious cookies. — Linda Storer, Taylorsville

No comments:

Post a Comment