Tuesday, August 27, 2013

All drugs have side effects!

I started taking Bystolic for high blood pressure a few months ago,
 I can't remember exactly when.

Saturday Aug. 24, I had trouble breathing.  It was pretty major
 so I just stayed in bed.  Luckily I could breath in bed.

After 25 years of blood pressure medication, I know the seriousness
 of the breathing problems.  It can mean major heart problems,
 including blockages to the arteries.

I went to Haley Jorgensen Pledger, Shelly Savage's PA-C at
Grandview Family Medicine on Monday morning
 and she sent me to the emergency room.  They
checked my oxygen and it was 93 and they said it was low.
 The ER said 93, which is what I still was, was fine.
 After 6 hours in the Utah Valley Regional Center
 Emergency Room, I swear I will never go there again.
 Even though the doctor called and told them I was coming I
spent one and one half hours in the waiting room,
and this is with a possible heart problem.

They did an EKG, chest x-ray and significant blood work
and my heart is OK and I don't have extra fluid in my body.
 I left feeling terrible, like I did when I got there.

OH YEAH, I forgot to mention a side effect of Bystolic (above)
is trouble breathing.
An FDA study indicates that the breathing problems are
more common in Women, people over 60, both of which are ME!
 Savage's office didn't think it was the drug, but the ER doctor Hyer
 (after running all the tests that came out normal) said it was
probably the medication.

Problem:  I didn't specifically look for lower oxygen rates,
but that wasn't listed anywhere either so it is anyone's
guess what is causing BOTH of my issues.

The ER told me to follow up with BOTH my primary care
and cardiologist this week!

At any rate beware of side effects of anything you take!

PS  When they checked me out of ER, the RN brought me the checkout papers
for a man.  They had listed his cardiologist as Badger, which is
interesting as Badger works for University of Utah, and I don't think
he practices at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center now.  Badger
is also listed as my cardiologist too.

No comments:

Post a Comment